Will Darbyshire has been a favourite of mine ever since he uploaded his first ever Youtube video. His way of thinking, musical preferences, aesthetic approach to life and his unassuming yet intelligent personality had me enamoured from the very get go.
It was but obvious then, that I would purchase his first ever novel. Although This Modern Love has not been written by Will, it has been composed by him. Having used his connection with the world through the gift of the internet, Will reached out and asked people of all ages to send him submissions, all of which were to do with love. They could be to an ex, to a crush or to their love, it didn’t matter. Photographs were welcome too!
Will asked six questions and tried to get the submissions to be answered around these questions. These questions were:
- What would you say to your ex, without judgement?
- Write a thank you note to your partner – describe or share (in a photo) the big and little things that make you happy.
- What single word sums up your love life, your partner, or someone you like?
- What single image sums up your love life, your partner, or someone you like?
- What would you say to a crush? Write a letter to them to express it.
- How has technology affected your relationship, either positively or negatively? Describe your experience.
The book follows the theme of red and white with postage stamps and envelopes decorating the pages from time to time.
Here are my favourite confessions, they’re a mix of letters to the past, present and future.
It makes for a beautiful read, the kinds you thoroughly enjoy, sitting in your favourite cafe, with your fingers wrapped around a coffee mug.
Will lived up to my expectations with this heartfelt dedication to love, its beauty and hypnotising charm, how it makes us yearn for it and be wary of it, all at the same time.
I would suggest getting the hardcover should you decide to purchase the book.
Thank you Will, for compiling the thoughts of those who’ve been touched by love in this book and for providing them with the most perfect of stages.
As Will puts it, this book is…
‘For all those in love, out of love,
and everything in between.’
If you want to check out more about the book and Will, click here to get to his channel.